Chickens not perching and sleeping in their nesting boxes

I let my really old hens sleep in there sometimes cause I feel bad for them or if they are molting (and not laying eggs) I will let them sleep in there. Other than that I keep them out. Here's a video I just made showing how I fixed my nest boxes. Hope this may be helpful to someone.

0.jpg

Hi, I need someone's help, I have 2 pol chickens which I have bought 3 weeks ago and have recently started laying. I was surprised when I saw the first egg in the nesting box when I came home and thought that now they have associated the nesting box with egg laying not sleeping that they would stop sleeping in there. Figures that they are still sleeping in their nesting boxes which leads to poo in their nesting box and then spooling the eggs. Any suggestions on getting them to roost by themselves. Btw I have tried blocking off the nesting boxes at night for about 2 weeks but they still try to sleep in the nesting boxes instead of hopping right on the roost.
I was thinking about you, how are the girls doing with sleeping in the nest boxes? I was wondering if you managed to fix that and what worked for you, if it is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom