chickens not using the coop at night.

Dinaschickens

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Our chickens are about 5 months old now. We have 13 hens and 1 Rooster. They have been outside for a while now and doing great. Our issue is that not all the chickens want to be in the coop at night and they started using the trees. Now others are following them to the trees. I really want them to use the coop at night and to use the nest box for eggs. Someone told me to clip their wings but I really don't want to do that. While I also don't want them in the trees, I want the to have all the advantages of flight in case of a predator. Our goal was to have them free range most of the time and in the coop at night. Suggestions on how to teach them to go in.?. A couple have started laying eggs and I really want them in the coop in the nest boxes.

Young chickens need to imprint on the coop as home. I usually move the peeps outside to the coop when they are ready and lock them in for a week. This usually seems to work, and they return every night at dusk.
Hope this works for you, too.

So you just keep them in all day too? Last night was better 10 out 14 went in. (There was a storm) The other 4 were so high in the trees I couldn't get them.

Leave them in the coop for a couple of days with food and water, they will learn that this is home, worked great for mine, never had any problems.

The last 2 nights I had all the coop. I had to "catch 3 girls" and physically put then in. they are all grazing a little closer to the coop. My son and I removed some of the lower tree branches to make getting up a bit harder. I also noticed that maybe I need more roosting bar space. they have grown plump since he built the hen house. I have been told that I want my rooster to have his own quarters. do you think makes a difference?

Back
Top Bottom