1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens of OZ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by edits, Nov 3, 2009.

1. edits

edits New Egg

Nov 3, 2009
    hi all,
    Im an Ausssie newbie to the chicken game, we (my GF and I) started about 6 weeks ago with 2 ISA Browns. These seem to be the main chickens sold in South Australian Grain/Fodder stores. As im sure most do, i quickly became quite attached to them and followed with another purchase of a more exotic style of chicken, Headed out to Birdwood (in Adelaide Hills) and picked up two Bantam Chicks. One White Silkie and One Speckled looking girl from a breeder that advertised in the paper!
    The 4 week difference in age (and size) has made it difficult to ensure a friendly flock, but we are perservering.
    Transformed a small shed into a coop, using an old buffet for nesting boxes and some sticks/logs/scrap wood from around the yard as roosts.
    A small run (4x5 metres was attached to the coop and ive spent more time working on this in the last two months than any other part of my garden!)

I have found this forum really helpful and look forward to becoming a part of your friendly community.
    Ill post some pics up soon for any thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Welcome to you, your GF, and your chickens!! [​IMG]

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Welcome to the Chicken world. Im pretty sure you'll become addicted to this site soon. And you are right about being attached to chickens. I bough six barred rocks, and about a month later i owned about 35 chickens.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Happy to meet you! Glad you're here! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy your stay with us!! [​IMG] Yep, you two are goners, hooked for life now! Look! [​IMG] They've got TRACKS!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Quote:Welcome, Chickens of OZ. Like you, I got hooked on my birds and the first forum I found was in Australia - coincidence? I think not! [​IMG]

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] - Glad you joined us! There are a bunch of Aussies on this forum. Hmm - Adelaide Hills - Sounds like you're from wine country! [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So glad you are here. Good on ya!

9. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

10. Amyable