Chickens on a plane?

MTchick

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Western Montana
I thought that would get your attention.

The chances are really good that I have at least two rooster chicks. I will be flying to Albany, NY in June to see family. If I can't find any happy homes for them here in Montana, what to do you think is the chance that I could either check them in a cat carrier or even bring them carry-on? I would assume the density of chicken lovers in NY/MA/CT/VT is good enough that I could pre-arrange a happy home through this board and then import the roosters via Northwest Airline Economy class.

What do you think?

-MTchick

I wanted to bring home some Key West chicks, but was told they would have to go in cargo.If they were an EXOTIC bird, then they could be in a carry on. At the airport, I saw 2 guys carrying pet boxes. On the sides it said- RARE PHEASANTS. Is this fair? The best thing is to call the airline. Maybe different ones have different rules. Merry

I live 50 miles north of Albany and I find it extremely hard to find good homes for roosters. I take mine to an auction in Schuylerville (about 30 miles north of Albany) but its uncertain where they end up. I sometimes have luck with rare breed roosters but finding any takers is difficult usually.

You would need to get the birds tested to legally carry them across state lines. I would give them away where you are, not unless they are SQ from a desired breed.

Being the naughty thing I am, I would call them something other than chickens. Don't lie, of course
smile.png
, just come up with some lovely and exotic sounding name. Bring them on as your carry-on, and put them under the seat. Keep everything dark, so they stay quiet! I think the biggest problem will come from other passengers - if they know you have a chicken, some hypochondriac is going to think they are going to get mad chicken disease or something!

I would urge you NOT to take them on a plane without checking into the specific rules. My ex-BF worked as an inspector in the airport looking for just that kind of thing, and people who violated the rules got in serious serious trouble. Better to let them go to auction than have them be confiscated by the government, and get sent to who knows what kind of fate, plus possibly getting slapped with a huge fine yourself. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom