Chickens on strike!

Jrios58

Songster
May 1, 2020
With the extreme cold in Texas, my girls were locked in their coop from Feb 14th through Feb 19th. (They wouldn't come out anyway once it got down to 13 degrees with a stiff north wind). So now I'm only getting 2 eggs a day from 9 pullets, for the past 10 + days. (2 were already not laying). Only 1 is molting (picked a bad week to lose feathers!). When can i expect egg production to pick back up?

I’ve had 0 eggs from my layers since the storm I keep searching for a hidden nest but can’t find one. I think they have stopped because of weather swings. I stopped feeding any scratch only layer feed is out. What can I do to help ?

If the coop was dark it may take a week or two for your gals to get the egg factory going again. Although, egg production is determined by the breeds of hens you have. If they are a top production breed, with proper diet and sunlight those gals will get back in gear pretty quick. The heavier breeds may take longer. And if they all decide to molt it may be a month or so before you see them back in production.

If the coop was dark it may take a week or two for your gals to get the egg factory going again. Although, egg production is determined by the breeds of hens you have. If they are a top production breed, with proper diet and sunlight those gals will get back in gear pretty quick. The heavier breeds may take longer. And if they all decide to molt it may be a month or so before you see them back in production.
ok good to know. They are Heavier heritage breed and the coop was pretty dark because I covered most of the normally open parts.

ok good to know. They are Heavier heritage breed and the coop was pretty dark because I covered most of the normally open parts.
Our coop was way dark and the chickens pulled all their insulation boards down. I figured the light had a lot to do with it. We have white Rocks

I would bet it will be a matter of days. Make sure they have plenty of feed, and liquid water. With temps that low waters freeze fairly fast and chickens can't drink ice. They tend to become dehydrated and shut down laying.
I was taking water to them 3 times a day, it kept freezing, even with their body heat. Thankfully this past week was a lot more normal altho it hit 80 one day. Crazy weather!

Back
Top Bottom