Chickens or Guineas?

CathieG

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I'm looking for bug control. We live in 5 ac. and plan on cooping at night and free range in the daytime. We also have horses that are also loose on the 5 ac. (not that it should really matter). Mom has 2 coops with chickens in them already, but they are several years old and don't want them to free range. Hers are hens only, I don't really care what mine will be. I have a 24x10 stall that I have not used since my colt was born (5 years ago). It seems like such a waste to me. I just want something that will help with the bugs.

Thanks
Cathie

I am a guinea person myself. I would say it depends on what bugs you are looking to control. My chickens seem to be better at catching flying bugs then my guineas, but my guineas do a lot more searching for bugs. I would say over all the guineas catch more bugs than my chickens, but the guineas are a LOT more noisy so ya may want to consider that, they are constantly chattering away at each other. You could always do a mixed flock....guineas and chickens seem to get along well together other than my one rooster seems to be at war with the guineas, nothing major just he flaps his wings and dances in front of the male guinea and he pecks at my rooster but never makes contact.
Chris

I'm looking to control the flies, fleas, ticks, I would not mind if they slowed down the lizards. I've heard Guineas will keep the snakes away and small mice and rats, those things would be great to be gone too. Last weekend my 16 yr old daughter killed a 4 ft mocason... in the middle of the pasture.

I have heard mixed reviews on whether guineas really do much to snakes, but i would guess lizards would be on the menu. Look on youtube there are a few videos of guineas just harassing snakes but not doing anything to them. Guineas are supposed to be second to none on ticks though!
Chris

I'm not worried about the noise, we have 5 ac, the preacher next door has 5 the 5 ac on the other side is empty, the seed store said she would not mind the guineas, she has chickens that free range and com to visit us, and across the street is 30 ac of woods.
If they would keep the rats and mice down, snakes would leave. I have a barn cat, and we use poison, but still have mice/rats. We don't have that many snakes these days, but even if they just chase the snakes, I would be OK, they are normally just crossing the property anyways.

Both are great at pest control, but each one has a slight advantage over the other in certain areas of expertise. I don't have guineas or chickens yet, but when it comes to certain pests, being an alarm call to danger, & helping you get rid of those nasty bugs in your garden (they are much less likely to tear up or scratch up your plants), then guineas are your best bet. Chickens on the other hand, also help with certain pests (chickens are good mousers, especially Buckeyes) just like guineas & help in the garden if you don't mind protecting your plants or them getting a little torn up from constant scratching. If noise or neighbors aren't a problem, get guineas.

Back
Top Bottom