chickens or no chickens that is why I am here now

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

I am a former chicken hater.
hide.gif
I moved back to the rural area I grew up in and to make a long story very short...I ended up with chickens. I'm hooked! I can't imagine life without them now. They are soooo amusing to watch AND they make you breakfast.

I see that you are concerned about flyers. I have one smaller mixed breed rooster that easily clears a 7 ft privacy fence, in fact he even flies onto the roof. If you plan to let them freerange in your yard then you should pick a heavier breed. Orpingtons are heavy, meat/eggs birds that are not good flyers. Mine can get a couple of feet off the ground but really don't even try to go airborne. They are known for being friendly, laying large light brown eggs, and come in several colors.

Orps are not your only option but I thought I would suggest a breed I am familiar with that would most likely fit your situation. If you do decide to get chickens, I doubt you will regret it. Good luck!
yippiechickie.gif

Greetings from Tucson and
welcome-byc.gif
If you decide to get chickens, definitely think stealth when designing your coop and run. Good luck and post pics when you build something!

welcome-byc.gif
this is a very informative forum filled with a lot of chicken enablers.
The two dogs in my avatar co-exist with our chickens. They are never left alone with them (german shepherd killed a young bird early on). Now after many months they don't pay the birds much attention at all.

Last edited:
lau.gif
Your wife sounds pretty persuasive, lol. Tell her for me "good job"
big_smile.png
I'm in a neighborhood too, but not in city limits. But it does limit how many I can have due to space in my back yard. I hope to be getting my chicks today and am very excited about it. So have fun with the process and I'm sure you'll have no regrets. Besides, they compost everything for you for your gardens, give fresh eggs, & hours of entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom