chickens or no chickens that is why I am here now

ocpoolguy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Orange County CA
OK hi to you all. So this is my story. About six months ago my wife started telling me she wanted chickens. At first I thought of it as just a joke, after days I thought she was losing her mind, she really wanted chickens. I told her she was nuts!! NO WAY, NO HOW, NO CHICKENS. So this goes on for months and months. The only thing I say is NO CHICKENS!!!! You are starting to lose it. So about mid February 2011, yeah a few weeks ago she gets me to look at this backyardchickens.com page. I found it interesting, but NO CHICKENS!!! After reading and looking it turns into lots of questions, lots of them answered from reading the posts. Then looking at coops I am a DYI hobbie craftsman, I like that kind of stuff. I am still saying NO CHICKENS!!!! But thinking it would be kinda neat. So we are looking at our backyard and figured if we did get chickens where would be a good place for a coop and run. We found a place that would work. Ok maybe chickens!
The most important thing I have learned is in the city we live you aren’t supposed to have chickens. I am sure the city doesn’t come looking for chickens in backyards. I live the house I was raised in from 3rd grade til early adulthood, then took over from my parents after they moved from Orange County, CA twelve years ago. To the best of my memory the city has never came in my backyard for anything let alone to look for chickens. So if no neighbors complain I can’t see how the city will ever know.
So my top concerns.
1 noise
2 flight

I will explore all of this in the forum.

OCpoolguy
The only rooster in this hen house is ME
If you need pool work in OC CA I would love to see your chickens!!!

welcome-byc.gif
from New Hampshire!

As for your noise concern, it's really not all that bad. As you said, you won't be having roosters, that is usually the source of noise complaints.
To address your flight concern, cover your run. If you will be allowing some free range time, as long as there is plenty of green grass and bugs they don't really tend to "fly" far.

Good luck!

You might want to visit Clandestine Chickens.

You should also visit the BYC section on local ordinances. You can check local laws and, if needed, get advice on how to work to change them.

Be warned, hens make noise too. One of mine has a loud egg song and another cusses me for not letting her out early enough.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. I don't think a few chickens will be a problem. You can always say they are your pets. That might work. My chickens have never flown the coop. They have it to good.
thumbsup.gif

thanks for the welcomeing I forgot to mention.... We have a bird dog Yellow Lab Emma she is just over a year old b-day JAN15 2010 we plan on keeping her seperated but can we all live together

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio
frow.gif
I know of no way to keep chickens totally silent, but if people abide barking dogs, I don't know why they would object to singing chickens.

Back
Top Bottom