Chickens out all night

madmantrapper

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Maryland
Yesterday was my 34 anniversary and the wife and I went out for dinner. Well I had let the chickens out at about 3:30 and had the door propped open so they could return. Well it got late on me and we had to leave before they were back in. No big deal I'll close it up when we return. When we got home I found the door shut, figured my youngest son closed it. He comes in about 11:00 and I thank him for closing the coop. He says he didn't close it. I grab a flashlight and go out. I find chickens on the roof, egg door, the rails of the trailer, etc. Could not find two of them. Got up this morning and found them up in an evergreen tree. Thank heavens nothing got them.

At daylight this morning, I looked out and saw the coop door open and the chickens running aroung the yard. I guess I didn't latch the door. All were present and accounted for but what a scare.

You are very lucky!! So glad all your birds were accounted for.
When it is warmer (over 30*) We just leave our coops open. Of course, I also have chainlink kennel panels enclosing each yard so I don't really have to worry about critters getting in.
It probably helps that your birds were smart enough to fly up to roost too
smile.png
Good chickens hehe!

Back
Top Bottom