1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chickens out all night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by madmantrapper, Nov 12, 2011.

1. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Yesterday was my 34 anniversary and the wife and I went out for dinner. Well I had let the chickens out at about 3:30 and had the door propped open so they could return. Well it got late on me and we had to leave before they were back in. No big deal I'll close it up when we return. When we got home I found the door shut, figured my youngest son closed it. He comes in about 11:00 and I thank him for closing the coop. He says he didn't close it. I grab a flashlight and go out. I find chickens on the roof, egg door, the rails of the trailer, etc. Could not find two of them. Got up this morning and found them up in an evergreen tree. Thank heavens nothing got them.

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I'd say you lucked out this time!

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    At daylight this morning, I looked out and saw the coop door open and the chickens running aroung the yard. I guess I didn't latch the door. All were present and accounted for but what a scare.

4. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You are very lucky!! So glad all your birds were accounted for.
    When it is warmer (over 30*) We just leave our coops open. Of course, I also have chainlink kennel panels enclosing each yard so I don't really have to worry about critters getting in.
    It probably helps that your birds were smart enough to fly up to roost too [​IMG] Good chickens hehe!

5. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Its good to see they know where homme is at. Glad you had none turn up missing.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Lucky, lucky night!

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    It's hell to get old and absent minded. Very lucky night indeed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by