chickens outside

dollydaylillies

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Hello everyone, I'm in the Lancaster Ohio area. My chicks are 4 weeks old looks like all their feathers are in but I'm new to chicks so don't know for sure. I have been taking them outside on sunny warm days for about an hour. I moved them outside to their coop yesterday with a heat lamp last night. They did fine however we are going to get temps in the 30's next two nights. Hope they have lots of bedding and a heat lamp and no drafts so I am hoping they will do ok. I only have 6 of them to huddle together. Any thoughts??

Everything sounds great! Personally, I would wait until they were 6 weeks old to put them in the coop, but... Great job!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
So why do they have to be so old, 6 weeks before taking outside to the coop? just wondering what the reasons were?

thanks,

I am not actually sure why.
tongue.png
It is what I have heard to do and it is what I do with my birds. I am assuming it is so that they can be big enough to handle outdoor conditions and have a strong enough immune system to survive outside.

Last edited:
I brought my girls back in the house as we woke to a dusting of snow this AM and our temps are supposed to get into the teens tonight. I was worried about them even with a heat lamp. Its supposed to warm up again this weekend so I think I will take them back outside. I think they really enjoyed having all the space to move around in. They would jump up to their perch and just sit there looking around. So cute.

Dolly from Ohio

Back
Top Bottom