Chickens Overeating

ChickenJV12

Songster
Sep 28, 2018
Hudsonville, MI
As some of you said in one of my previous threads here in feed section, I asked if I should start to give them 24/7 access to feed. Well, I started that. But, my 20 chickens ate 8 pounds of food in one day!! Is this normal or does this seem a bit excessive?

As some of you said in one of my previous threads here in feed section, I asked if I should start to give them 24/7 access to feed. Well, I started that. But, my 20 chickens ate 8 pounds of food in one day!! Is this normal or does this seem a bit excessive?
If you were under feeding your chickens before, they would definitely over eat when suddenly having full access to feed. If that is the case, they will slow down as soon as they realize the feed is always there.

It is more likely that something else is helping them eat the feed.

Depending on the chicken ... breed, stage of life, health ... and if it has access to other free range type foods, or treats ... will average about .25 pounds of feed per day ...

So either they are pigs, (doubt it) they spilled a bunch, (probably) and/or you got "visitors" ... like wild birds, or rats ...

Is your feeder at the back height of your chickens? If not raise it up to that height and see if that helps. They shouldn't be going through that much feed.

If you were under feeding your chickens before, they would definitely over eat when suddenly having full access to feed. If that is the case, they will slow down as soon as they realize the feed is always there.

It is more likely that something else is helping them eat the feed.
I didn't underfeed them i don't think. You might be right about having them realize food is always there.

Depending on the chicken ... breed, stage of life, health ... and if it has access to other free range type foods, or treats ... will average about .25 pounds of feed per day ...

So either they are pigs, (doubt it) they spilled a bunch, (probably) and/or you got "visitors" ... like wild birds, or rats ...
They are pigs, because whenever I walk into the coop, I always see at least 3 or 4 birds at the feeder

Back
Top Bottom