Chickens pace the run when they see us

Laver2k

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Hello!

I've had 2 bantams for 3 weeks in the garden. They have a coop with a built in run. Whenever they see us, they start desperately pacing the side of the run facing our house. This will continue for until about 30 minutes since they see us. Its tricky because they can see us from the living room or kitchen, where we are alot.

I've tried feeding them treats, but they don't eat them until after I'm out of sight.
I've given them more water.
I've thrown in bugs and corn...

I don't know what they want from me! Any advice?

Maybe they think you are the rooster. wink wink nudge nudge
wink.png

I guess you could put something up as a screen on their run so they only see you when you go out there. Then they'll be worked up less often.

They want more. Of everything.

What you're describing is normal. My girls can be in the coop and will hear the back door knob turn when I go to walk out the door. Now, the coop and the house aren't close so they must have fantastic hearing. When they hear that knob turn, they all literally fly - to the best of their abilities - out of the coop and run to the end of the fence. Then the pacing and dancing starts and it doesn't end until I'm back in the house.

Sounds like they're happy to see you!

I am not sure they want anything in particular. They may just be high strung chickens who are still adjusting. I still say treats can help them get used to you. We moved to a home where the previous owner left his chickens who were practically feral. They would put up quite a squawk when we came near, and run away. They were free range and roosted in the rafters of a shed. After weeks maybe even months, they came to associate us with treats and would run toward us instead of away from us. Here is a link with treat ideas:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

If you are the one who feeds them and lets them out in the morning, they associate you with things they like.

Mine will become frantic, running across the run to the gate when I come out in the morning. They must know that I am going to let them out.

Once out, some race to the dog's water bucket and others to the loropetalum hedge to dust bathe. Then they start their day of foraging.

This is why the gate to a run must open out.

Chris

Agree with post above - mine get silly (pecking wire mesh, jumping up and down and pacing) when I am in the garden as they want to be let out.

Since one of mine dug under the fence yesterday and I had to be like a little kid who's ball had gone next door (an then have the family watch while I chase her about to get her!!) they can't go out today until the hole is patched up!!

Popularfurball:(an then have the family watch while I chase her about to get her!!)

LOL! I've been there! Too many times. Plus the neighbors get some entertainment too.

-probably a normal thing. They associate you with good stuff. My chickens pace if they see me looking out the back door. When I go out to work in the garden, they immediately run to the door of the run. -know it is time to come out onto the lawn. After they've been out on the lawn for about 30 minutes they all go stand at the back door. (ready for treats from the house and ready to return to their space) My gals are very routine. They seem to expect/prefer a certain pattern to the day.

20230915_130841.jpg

This is Rose and she does the same thing as soon as she sees me or hears me come out the back door she runs up and down the fence line. Once I pick her up she's fine. I told my husband I'm going to have to put a roost in the bedroom just to keep her calm down 😆 🤣

Back
Top Bottom