CHICKENS PANTING

Quote:
Lots of shade, fans so no matter what they can get a breeze if they want it, frozen bottles of water placed in drinking water, extra drinking water so that even if one source spills or becomes otherwise unusable there will be others, frozen fruit (e.g. watermelon) put out before you leave so it's another coolant for them later when it thaws a bit, mister to cool an area so they can seek refuge there if they need to (but also have dry places they can access), and on the worst days, having someone attend to them mid day to change out to all new cool drinks etc.
JJ

Hello! I hope someone will come back to this thread to help! I am a new chicken owner :)
I recently bought three hens about three weeks ago. One of them was sick and didn't know it. She had a respiratory issue and was treated with Tylan and water antibiotics. I didn't separate the other two from her considering they all came from the same place(I know that was risky). Well any who, my other hen now is acting completely normal, eating normal and being bossy as always! The only thing is she's panting now. And I don't know why? It's like 83-85 right now which is perfect temp for us humans but could that be already too hot for her? I tried listening to her chest and didn't hear wheezing like I did with the other one. No nasal or eye discharge either. Just panting

If that's her only symptom, relax, it's probably just due to sudden change in the weather from cool to very warm. Panting is a normal reaction to this. Make sure there's plenty of fresh, cold water to drink.

If panting is accompanied by behavior such as moping immobile off at the edges of the run with her tail held low and flat, and poops that are scant, watery, with white and green in them, then you may have a sick chicken. If the comb shows tinges of a dusty purple, you may have a chicken in respiratory or cardiac distress.

If that's her only symptom, relax, it's probably just due to sudden change in the weather from cool to very warm. Panting is a normal reaction to this. Make sure there's plenty of fresh, cold water to drink.

If panting is accompanied by behavior such as moping immobile off at the edges of the run with her tail held low and flat, and poops that are scant, watery, with white and green in them, then you may have a sick chicken. If the comb shows tinges of a dusty purple, you may have a chicken in respiratory or cardiac distress.

Thank you for he reply! So what I did notice on the other hen who was previously sick, I think she's healed now but her red comb has little black spots on the top? I thought it was dirt and tried taking it off but its permanent.

Little black spots on a comb most often are from being pecked by other chickens as the pecking order shifts from time to time. These spots are scabs which will disappear in a week or so as they heal.

Other black spots can be from dry pox. In the past, when I've had a bird with this, I put Blu-kote on them and it seems to heal faster, but it's not a serious condition, and resolves itself in time. These black spots are pin point size, and a lot more uniform in appearance than the scabs caused by pecking, which can be of varying size.

Either issue is little cause for worry.

Little black spots on a comb most often are from being pecked by other chickens as the pecking order shifts from time to time. These spots are scabs which will disappear in a week or so as they heal.

Other black spots can be from dry pox. In the past, when I've had a bird with this, I put Blu-kote on them and it seems to heal faster, but it's not a serious condition, and resolves itself in time. These black spots are pin point size, and a lot more uniform in appearance than the scabs caused by pecking, which can be of varying size.

Either issue is little cause for worry.[/quote
Thanks for the reply! After looking at pics online it deff looks like bruising and she is on the bottom of the pecking order! Poor girl !
So my hen that was panting she is now panting and spreading her wings I guess to cool off ? I don't get it! It was windy and cloudy all day no sign of the sun! And she has a covered run. I put ice water out for them. If she is hot now she isn't going to survive the true Florida summer! :(

The chickens will acclimate over time. It's just when the climate takes a sudden change and the fluctuation in temperature is wide that chickens have a hard time and can even go into a state of heat stress. They will adjust to a slow exposure to temperature change, even though they will benefit from measures to keep them cool such as misters and wetting down the soil in their run and fans to circulate air.

Yes! Mine are panting too! We are in central Florida and it is horribly hot and humid right now. I offered them a shallow kiddie pool and tried misting them with the hose. They ran from both lol. I just bought a fan to put in the coop and will try to offer them some frozen treats next I think..

Back
Top Bottom