1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens pecking at eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by operationindigo, Jan 28, 2014.

1. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    My chickens just started laying eggs this week. We have noticed that they have been pecking at the eggs when we collect them. Ideally, I would collect them in the morning, but there hasn't been anything there in the morning. Is there any reason they would both be pecking at the eggs? I can't get them to lay in the nest boxes...they insist on the floor. Any ideas? Is this a dangerous habit?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Fake eggs in the nest boxes (or golf balls) may help. Also you can make curtains for the nest boxes to keep them dark. I would not want them laying on the floor.

3. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    I'm worried that this is going to lead them towards egg eating. Do these two behaviors have anything in common? Or are they doing it just because they're bored? We've noticed they do it specifically when we try to take the eggs from the coop. There hasn't been any broken eggs or anything though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by