Chickens pecking each other

christyyy

Chirping
Dec 2, 2017
California
I own one Rhode Island Red and an Austra White. Up until this year they were the best of friends and never did anything to harm one another until our RIR started pecking our Austra when she would eat. They both shared one feeder just fine for the both of them but I’m not sure why they decided it wasn’t good enough for two? When my AW would eat, my RIR would run after her and peck her. It slowly stopped after a while and then the pecking began AGAIN. No one is seriously hurt but my AW is constantly being pecked on her head but just goes back for more food afterwards. These are the only two girls I have. Please help me, maybe it’s because they need something else to peck at like a feed block?

Maybe your AW is not visibly ill? Sorry if its a bit uncomforting, but other chickens don't take kindly to ill chickens, and you will need to isolate the ill chicken if so

Maybe someone with more experience can step in?:idunno:rolleyes::)

How much room do your girls have? Close confinement can cause pecking problems, also boredom. The chicken seed block and giving them something to scratch through like alfalffa hay will give them something to do. Offer two feeding stations if you think your white is not eating enough.
Some girls are just bullies.
I just rescued 6 isa browns and i could tell one was a feather picker by the evidence of 4 of them. It took me 2 days to figure out which one it is and she is the bossiest one. I will be putting pinless peepers on her for a while so the feathers grow back on the others.
Good luck with your girls.

I own one Rhode Island Red and an Austra White. Up until this year they were the best of friends and never did anything to harm one another until our RIR started pecking our Austra when she would eat. They both shared one feeder just fine for the both of them but I’m not sure why they decided it wasn’t good enough for two? When my AW would eat, my RIR would run after her and peck her. It slowly stopped after a while and then the pecking began AGAIN. No one is seriously hurt but my AW is constantly being pecked on her head but just goes back for more food afterwards. These are the only two girls I have. Please help me, maybe it’s because they need something else to peck at like a feed block?
How old are they?
Is the AW molting?

How much room do your girls have? Close confinement can cause pecking problems, also boredom. The chicken seed block and giving them something to scratch through like alfalffa hay will give them something to do. Offer two feeding stations if you think your white is not eating enough.
Some girls are just bullies.
I just rescued 6 isa browns and i could tell one was a feather picker by the evidence of 4 of them. It took me 2 days to figure out which one it is and she is the bossiest one. I will be putting pinless peepers on her for a while so the feathers grow back on the others.
Good luck with your girls.

The area they’re in is kind of small but they’ve been able to deal with it for a while.

Perhaps add another small feeder for a while well separated from each other and see if that helps.

We have a
Maybe your AW is not visibly ill? Sorry if its a bit uncomforting, but other chickens don't take kindly to ill chickens, and you will need to isolate the ill chicken if so

Maybe someone with more experience can step in?:idunno:rolleyes::)

No I don’t believe she’s I’ll at all?

Back
Top Bottom