chickens pecking each other!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by YolandaT, Apr 17, 2011.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    One of my chickens, a gold laced wyandotte, started pecking two others. She has pecked bald spots onto their backs just above their tail feathers! Now one of those chickens is also pecking the other. My beautiful Americauna is really getting picked on now!

I have 4 chickens total. There is no blood just bald spots, and awful squawks all day. Their coop is 8ft x 6ft and they have a 8ft x 8ft run.

Please tell me what to do!

2. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    bump!

anyone have any solutions besides get rid of the wyandotte? I fear that won't work now as the other pecked chicken is also pecking at the Americauna.

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    It seems they may be bored. I would recommend giving them something to do. I notice my chickens really enjoy scratching in a bale of hay...It will keep them busy for hours. What about a big pile of grass clippings, or weeds? Are you feeding layer pellets? Just wondering if it could be a nutrition issue? Good luck!

4. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    they get organic feed, and kitchen scraps. they haven't been let out to free range in awhile in my backyard, maybe its time for more of that. and I am due to mow so I''ll give them a pile of grass to mess with.
    thank you!

5. thats why my chickens have been plucking each other! i have the same problem, except its either my roosters, or my EE who is pecking the others, my GLW is too sweet to do such a thing! [​IMG]

6. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I have a stinker in my Silkie flock who is plucking one of the hen's beards clean off. [​IMG] I've been down there for the past few days for hours trying to find out who the culprit is, I'll catch the bugger! [​IMG] I will throw in some grass clippings as well, thanks for the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by