Chickens pecking until they are bleeding

RC Cruiser

Hatching
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
I have 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Delawares. They are about 9 weeks old now. They are all outside now in their chicken coop and outdoor areas. We live in Florida and we have water inside and outside, as well as food inside and outside.

Several weeks ago 3 of them were pecked on their back sides and were bleeding.They were the RIR's. We separated them until they healed, and then put them back together.

Today, one of the RIR was pecked again and bleeding on their backside and now neck. I have separated her from the others.

What is causing this?????

They have plenty of space, food and water.

Can someone with experience please help me? I want my girls to get along and survive. We are using them as a food ministry when they get to the age of laying eggs.

We care for them and make sure that they need everything.

Please HELP!

I have 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Delawares. They are about 9 weeks old now. They are all outside now in their chicken coop and outdoor areas. We live in Florida and we have water inside and outside, as well as food inside and outside.

Several weeks ago 3 of them were pecked on their back sides and were bleeding.They were the RIR's. We separated them until they healed, and then put them back together.

Today, one of the RIR was pecked again and bleeding on their backside and now neck. I have separated her from the others.

What is causing this?????

They have plenty of space, food and water.

Can someone with experience please help me? I want my girls to get along and survive. We are using them as a food ministry when they get to the age of laying eggs.

We care for them and make sure that they need everything.

Please HELP!
Well, the most likely reason for that is because of the pecking order, if one gets too picked on the you should separate her like you did. also after a while it will be resolved, but try to find out which is the hen who mostly picks on the others and separate her, and then maybe you can return the RIR that you separated to the flock.

Hope this was helpful!

I separated my RIR for 3 days until she was scabbed over. They went to her for a few minutes when she was back with them, but so far they've left her alone. I added in their run some logs, spanish moss (which they love), and some green leaves from the vines....along with their grains and water. They've fly out of the coop into the run and seem exhausted now when they go in at dusk. I also pray over them too!!!

When she was separated, she was in the same coop where they could all see and hear each other. She seems to be getting in there and getting what she wants now.

I've given them all bread, Watermelon, cantelope, blueberries, grapes, yogurt, and a potatoe cut in half (all on different days). They LOVE those treats so far!

Back
Top Bottom