Chickens picking on each other

poultryluvr18

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
My chickens have been picking on each other lately. I have many breeds, but I have several strains of Leghorn, Barred Rocks, Red and Black Sex-links, Rhode Island Red, and Americaunas. Some have been picked down to several inches of feathers gone in about 2-3 inch areas on their backs, and a little bit on their breasts. I had had a problem with mites a few months ago, but Im pretty sure I got rid of those. Do you have any suggestions or remedies for the picking? Also the coop is 8x8', with a very large run. I have 17 hens and 1 rooster. Thank you!!

well it could be them establishing the pecking order so if that is the case it should settle down in a couple days, if its not then something is not adequate to them, either not enough room, or not enough feeders/waterers, not enough roosting space, one too many broodies maybe?? do you have enough nest boxes? sorry I know loads of questions but its hard to determine what is really going on without much info to go by. Did you get all your chickens at the same time, if not have you or has there been a recent upset in the coop, anything changed etc, an addition??

how are things inside the coop? are they being allowed out to range or in a run to stretch their legs, do you think maybe they are bored? chickens do get cabin fever if kept in too long and they do tend to get bored and a bit cranky.

there are plenty of questions for you to consider, when my girls begin to get on each others nerves I tend to investigate the reason, sometimes there is a bully in the pack and I settle that down rather quickly by grabbing the bully and either separating her for a couple days or carrying her around under my arm so she knows her place. I recently had a bully and they were all at each others throats when I removed the bully things calmed right down after three days I let her back into the coop. and Voila, all was good.

Observe your flock for an hour or even a couple and you might get the idea where the issue lies.

Ema

I did get the chicks about a month and a half apart, but they've been together for several months, and I haven't recently changed anything or aquired new chickens. Well, I did get a new waterer, but it started long before that. I usually let them out at about 7:30 in the morning, and lock them up about an hour after dark. And I know they have plenty of roosting space, and 10 nesting boxes for 17 hens with an 8x8 coop. I only have one 3 gallon galvanized waterer and the same type of suspended feeder. I don't think any of my hens are currently broody, although one was for about 3 weeks a while ago.... and I have a hanging wire ball that I put greens in to try to ease the bordom. Does that help any? Thank you!!

Quote:
yes it does...take an hour or two and watch your hens, I think you have a bully in your flock that needs a small lesson in humility...lol....stopping her, or them cause it could be 2 or 3 ganging up on the rest, right on their tracks will make all the difference in the world. you might have to separate her or them for a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom