Chickens picking on one Silkie

silkiemum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Hi all, This is my first time on your fourm and I have joined as I was hoping you could help me please.

I have a few different breeds of chickens (15)in a large area together, all have been getting on really well now for the last 6 months. So I don't know what has changed but they all, particulary the two roosters are picking on one little silkie (hanna montanna). They have pecked at her head until it is now an open wound the size of a 20 cent peice.

I have taken her out and bathed her and her wound and sprayed an antibactorical spray on her wound. She is inside with me and Iwill make her a litte pen of her own tomorrow where she can stay until she heals.

My questions are. Is there anything more I can do for her wound? I assume she can't go back again with the others 'ever'.? Why do chickens do this? She came as a pullet with 6 others all still there.. Will they pick on another chicken now?

Thanks for you time and knowledge and I look forward to many a chicken chat!

One they start picking they won't stop until you stop it. Is the silkie skittish? That
sometimes makes it worse.

My advice for picking is always the same. Put some VetRX or Vicks Vapor rub on her
head where they picked her. The others hate the taste and usually stop picking.

We've lost one small silkie hen to someone in our laying flock. We had a mixed flock
but now seperate our silkies from our layers. They all free range together for a
few hours a day and never bother each other but once in the run it becomes like
a playground at school. There is always a bully.

Yes she is a bit skittish and has been avoiding the roosters, always running away from them when the 'want' her. I guess I should wait until the wound is healed totally before trying the vicks vapor rub, its a great tip and I will try it. I have 2 other silkies, so I will try to make a seperate area for them I think.

Thanks for yor tip PurpleChicken!!!

Quote:
Yes, let her feathers grow in a little first. Then try introducing her back a few chickens
at a time or put her in a cage in the run. Her stittishness and attempt to avoid the roos
is making her a target.

If she is not a show silkie you may also try cutting away the feathers around her eyes
so she can see better. It may calm her some.

Best of luck and welcome to BYC.
smile.png

I have read of several folks on the forum who recommend keeping silkies separate. Not only do they sometimes have vision issues from the feathers, they seem pretty shy around other breeds and also have a separation in the top of the skull that makes them vulnerable to head injuries. Keeping your silkies apart may make all the difference.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom