Chickens picking their own coops? What's next?

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I am such a softy. My little black amerucauna, Hayden, was being picked on terrible by her coop mates. I wondered why I never saw her out of the coop much but I had to change their water so she was out in the run. They all kept picking on her and her brother Levi wasn't doing anything to help her. I couldn't make them stop, so finally I was able to open the run door (coop door blocks the run door) and I just picked her up and took her to the blue orp coop and put her in there. Her sister is already in there because she likes it best there (spoiled chickens) and they are all pretty sweet birds.

She wouldn't come out of the nesting box for 3 days. I think she was scared because they were SO much bigger than her. Finally I put her out in the run and lock the door. I wanted her to get used to the other chickens so she'd fit in. Well, instead she flew over the wire to the little chick's coop.

Hayden, is only a little bigger than the 15 week olds and they are only a little bigger than the 12 week old. She's SO happy in there. Finally, she's a big girl and she plays outside and is very happy. I guess it was worth letting her pick her own coop. Next thing you know they'll want a big screen TV or something.
lau.gif

I'm really happy for her. I try to watch my chickens and if they are unhappy or not getting along then move them where they will. But with so many it's hard to keep track of everyone or have places for everybody. Sometimes it's just a pecking order thing and not a big deal. But I'm glad she found a place she could be happy.

Back
Top Bottom