Chickens picking their own coops? What's next?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I am such a softy. My little black amerucauna, Hayden, was being picked on terrible by her coop mates. I wondered why I never saw her out of the coop much but I had to change their water so she was out in the run. They all kept picking on her and her brother Levi wasn't doing anything to help her. I couldn't make them stop, so finally I was able to open the run door (coop door blocks the run door) and I just picked her up and took her to the blue orp coop and put her in there. Her sister is already in there because she likes it best there (spoiled chickens) and they are all pretty sweet birds.

She wouldn't come out of the nesting box for 3 days. I think she was scared because they were SO much bigger than her. Finally I put her out in the run and lock the door. I wanted her to get used to the other chickens so she'd fit in. Well, instead she flew over the wire to the little chick's coop.

Hayden, is only a little bigger than the 15 week olds and they are only a little bigger than the 12 week old. She's SO happy in there. Finally, she's a big girl and she plays outside and is very happy. I guess it was worth letting her pick her own coop. Next thing you know they'll want a big screen TV or something. [​IMG]

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Yours dont have the bigscreen yet? hmmm.
    JK I am so glad she is happy now!

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] All's well that ends well!!!

Cindy

4. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    oops no one else's chickens have one yet ! [​IMG]

(goes to take big screen T.V. out of coop)

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Oh, that's nice that she finally found a place where she fits in!

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I'm really happy for her. I try to watch my chickens and if they are unhappy or not getting along then move them where they will. But with so many it's hard to keep track of everyone or have places for everybody. Sometimes it's just a pecking order thing and not a big deal. But I'm glad she found a place she could be happy.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    That's a nice story. Glad she's happier where she is now.

Oh, and chickens like the radio... Mine would probably like TV too but my DH put his foot down....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by