chickens prefer red colors?

Bantam Bodon

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Osceola Mills PA
I have this book called, "the field guide to chickens" and in it, it said a study showed chickens prefer the color red. It makes sense i guess, a rooster's comb is to attract the hen and they are red. Do you think this is why so many chicken coops are red or is it a coincidence?

So why is it that so many find that red heat lamps are more calming to babies than white ones?

They are definitely drawn to bloody wounds and attack them, though....

Interesting.

Quote:
The white lights clearly bring out the red of a wound. The red light masks the red of the the wound somewhat so it doesn't stand out as much. Everything looks a little red.

My guess is that many chicken coops are red because barn red is a traditional color for farm buildings and even Arizona Democrats can be traditionalists.

i dunno, they say a similar thing about bulls not liking red, but bovines can't even see color, they are attracted to the movements of the red cape rather than the color.

however, birds can see colors. not sure if it has anything to do with breeding, as dubbed roosters seem to do just as well as ones with combs. but there are alot of birds that use color to display to find a mate (peacocks, birds of paradise, ducks)

it wouldn't surprise me though.

I figured that was why they made all the plastic feeders and waterers red - to attract them to them since they were attracted to that color.

mine seem to like green things. i'll have to do some sort of test! like use food coloring to dye some feed and mix red feed and green feed with the reg. feed to see which disappears quicker..

well, they ate both the red and the green indiscriminately, but didn't start eating their normal feed until both were all gone... perhaps they just like what stands out?? red certainly does stand out. they seem to like shiny things as well, i notice they link to peck rings and my facial piercings.

what do YOU guys think?
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom