Chickens randomly dying

Silkie2299781

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
update: This is NOT in the correct category. I apologize.

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago we lost a black australorp hen for no reason that we know of, and now this morning, we lost the same-aged New Hampshire red.

Both were under 3 years old and had been thoroughly checked for health issues recently.

TIA!

Did the birds show any symptoms indicating that they were sick prior to death? What has your weather been like?
Nope. It was warm when the first one died, but not hot like when some died to heat a few years ago. And it was only like 65-70 degrees when the second one died.

Sorry, my brain processed days instead of weeks which is why I first thought AI.

Without knowing if the birds displayed symptoms and since you can't do a necropsy it will be hard to say anything for certain. I would carefully monitor the living flock for anything that looks out of the usual. Watch for decreased or increased eating/drinking, weight loss, lethargic, pale combs, unusual poops, mites, how often they are laying, spoiled or contaminated feed/water, etc. Reproductive issues or a heart attack could be possible, but it happening to both birds within the same time frame isn't super likely. Hopefully your remaining birds stay healthy.

What are you feeding?
Do they free range?
Anything change in coop/run?
When they died, did you notice anything; injury, weight, hadn't been laying, pale coloring?
We feed our whole flock organic layer feed and scratch grains, They free-range somedays, the day the australorp died they were, but not when the new Hampshire red died. Nothing changed, and not nothing super visible was wrong with them. As I said, we had just checked all the chickens about 1 week-a few days before they died. oh, and they both laid as normal.

Sorry, my brain processed days instead of weeks which is why I first thought AI.

Without knowing if the birds displayed symptoms and since you can't do a necropsy it will be hard to say anything for certain. I would carefully monitor the living flock for anything that looks out of the usual. Watch for decreased or increased eating/drinking, weight loss, lethargic, pale combs, unusual poops, mites, how often they are laying, spoiled or contaminated feed/water, etc. Reproductive issues or a heart attack could be possible, but it happening to both birds within the same time frame isn't super likely. Hopefully your remaining birds stay healthy.
I definitely will. I just found out that the new Hampshire red was a super goofy chicken who would steal food from you, and you could hold food above her and she would jump to get it 😭

Back
Top Bottom