Sudden lameness in already injured chicken !

FlaxSeedSon

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2023
a week or two ago my family and I lost 3 chickens to heat stroke. 2 hens and a Roo. Once we realised that the cooling in their area wasnt enough, we brought our 4 newer hens inside. (we raised them from chicks, 1 hatched at home and 3 store bought). they were exposed to the deceased birds for abt a day or so. two of the smaller ones had begun to go through heat stress (?) lameness, panting, the works. 1 rhode island red 1 new hampshire red, we treated them and they seemed to recover, save for the Rhode Island Red having a scrunched up neck. unfortunately, one of our New Hampshires developed an eye infection and later died. then, another new hampshire died. Now, we have our injured Rhode Islander (she never recovered fully) back to full lameness on her left side and I'm not sure what is causing it. to be frank, im worried she wont make it thru the night and im looking for any tips on what it is. i dont think its heat stroke because our other rhode island is showing no heat stress symptoms, nor mareks because they've been with us since chicks, but I'm not sure. I will supply pictures if needed, but i wont post a dead bird. I am quarantining the healthy rhode islander.

a week or two ago my family and I lost 3 chickens to heat stroke. 2 hens and a Roo. Once we realised that the cooling in their area wasnt enough, we brought our 4 newer hens inside. (we raised them from chicks, 1 hatched at home and 3 store bought). they were exposed to the deceased birds for abt a day or so. two of the smaller ones had begun to go through heat stress (?) lameness, panting, the works. 1 rhode island red 1 new hampshire red, we treated them and they seemed to recover, save for the Rhode Island Red having a scrunched up neck. unfortunately, one of our New Hampshires developed an eye infection and later died. then, another new hampshire died. Now, we have our injured Rhode Islander (she never recovered fully) back to full lameness on her left side and I'm not sure what is causing it. to be frank, im worried she wont make it thru the night and im looking for any tips on what it is. i dont think its heat stroke because our other rhode island is showing no heat stress symptoms, nor mareks because they've been with us since chicks, but I'm not sure. I will supply pictures if needed, but i wont post a dead bird. I am quarantining the healthy rhode islander.
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of the birds and their poop?
How are they housed?

If you have video of how they move around that would be good too. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

How old are these birds and what are you feeding, including treats?

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of the birds and their poop?
How are they housed?

If you have video of how they move around that would be good too. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

How old are these birds and what are you feeding, including treats?
they're about 5 months, currently housed in an unused indoor bathroom, as its too hot outside and we dont have ac in their previous area. im not sure what food they eat as my dad is in charge of that, but ill provide pictures. they get mealworms occasionally, and when they were recovering i gave them strawberries in small pieces, but that was a while ago. it's a small enclosure but its that or a spaceous deathbox so we picked the lesser evil here i think. their poop looks normal, no blood or runs. The lame one doesnt move, she just lays on the ground and occasionally falls over. the other behaves normally.

Attachments

• 20230907_213845.jpg
    20230907_213845.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230907_214545.jpg
    20230907_214545.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230907_214238_Editor Lite.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_214238_Editor Lite.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230907_213941.jpg
    20230907_213941.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230907_214545.jpg
    20230907_214545.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230907_214238_Editor Lite.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_214238_Editor Lite.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230907_213941.jpg
    20230907_213941.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 9
they're about 5 months, currently housed in an unused indoor bathroom, as its too hot outside and we dont have ac in their previous area. im not sure what food they eat as my dad is in charge of that, but ill provide pictures. they get mealworms occasionally, and when they were recovering i gave them strawberries in small pieces, but that was a while ago. it's a small enclosure but its that or a spaceous deathbox so we picked the lesser evil here i think. their poop looks normal, no blood or runs. The lame one doesnt move, she just lays on the ground and occasionally falls over. the other behaves normally.
How much ventilation do they have in the bathroom?
What's your temperatures outside? Could they be outside for nighttime and early mornings when temperatures are cooler so they get fresh air, sunshine and can move around for a while. Bring them in during the hottest part of the day if it's really hot.

How much ventilation do they have in the bathroom?
What's your temperatures outside? Could they be outside for nighttime and early mornings when temperatures are cooler so they get fresh air, sunshine and can move around for a while. Bring them in during the hottest part of the day if it's really hot.
we have a window cracked at all times, and a little desk fan to circulate air. we've been having over 100 Fahrenheit weather for weeks, but it has been pretty cool on the mornings, so I'll definitely start letting them hang out in the mornings.

we have a window cracked at all times, and a little desk fan to circulate air. we've been having over 100 Fahrenheit weather for weeks, but it has been pretty cool on the mornings, so I'll definitely start letting them hang out in the mornings.
oh, nighttime outside is a no-go. we have a lot of strays and coyotes here, and their old coop is noticeably warmer than outside at all times.

the lame one has now died. i did let the remaining one into the yard for some air and i noticed her poop was incredibly wet, if that might point to anything treatment wise. shes also a little skittish, and possibly underweight. thanks for your help.

the lame one has now died. i did let the remaining one into the yard for some air and i noticed her poop was incredibly wet, if that might point to anything treatment wise. shes also a little skittish, and possibly underweight. thanks for your help.
she is also moving very jittery and dropping feathers, as well as having pin feathers on her head.

Back
Top Bottom