Is this cypress bark making our hens sick?? 1 hen with respiratory illness, 1 hen vomiting (maybe from the heat wave?)

layayayle

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
On 6/25, we added this cypress bark mulch blend to our chicken's run. It seemed like a great choice, but with the issues our flock has experienced shortly after adding it, I'm worried that the "blend" part may have something bad in it.

On 6/27, I checked on the hens to find Beaux (Ameraucana) lacking her normal interest in snacks, moving like she was drunk, and breathing like liquid was in her airway. We took her to our avian vet, where she stayed overnight to be monitored. On 6/28, we brought her home with 2 weeks' worth of antibiotics and breathing treatments. We asked the vet if she thought the new cypress bark was related, and she said maybe but it would be odd for the others not to show symptoms, too. So, we left the cypress bark in the run so as not to change too many variables at once, and so far, Beaux's breathing has been clearing up, and her energy levels are back up.

On 6/29, the heat wave made it to us here in Birmingham, AL. Yesterday was not as hot, and the hens did fine with frozen treats, frozen water bottles in their water, and their new shade cloths blocking the worst of the afternoon sun. Today, the high is 96, but it feels like 106, and Beaux (Ameraucana) and Entrapta (Rhode Island Red) are NOT doing great, while Ianthe and Coronabeth (Speckled Sussex) seem to be fairing better. Beaux and Entrapta were panting despite me adding a fan to their setup and misting them/the run enough to bring it down to ~90 degrees. Then, I saw Entrapta throw up (mostly liquid), which scared the heck out of me, so I moved all four hens into the garage and have them set up in there until it cools off later this evening. All four hens are alert, interested in treats/food, and not panting now that they're inside. Entrapta hasn't vomited again.

So, what the heck is going on here?! Or, more specifically:
  • Do y'all think cypress bark could be the underlying culprit for Beaux's respiratory illness or Entrapta's vomiting? Should we remove it, just in case?
  • Has anyone used cypress bark or this brand specifically for their run flooring?
  • Could Entrapta's vomiting be from gorging on frozen treats in an attempt to stay cool or otherwise heat related?
  • Are Ameraucanas or Rhode Island Reds more sensitive to heat than Speckled Sussexes?
I am at my wit's end here, and any advice would be helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is humid along with the heat, misting will only exasperate their discomfort. The short lived coolness will only lead to evaporated moisture that gets heated up and further saturates the air.

If the mulch is or becomes moldy it will cause respiratory issues in your girls. If it gets wet it can also hold in the hot and humid moisture. If it were my flock, I would get rid of it, but that is just my opinion.

• Could Entrapta's vomiting be from gorging on frozen treats in an attempt to stay cool or otherwise heat related?

FROZEN is not good.
Offer cool water, not ice cold and never frozen.

I doubt bark is causing the respiratory illness.
More likely a respiratory virus or disease is causing it.
The heat can make these type of illnesses worse...so can stress.

Stable enviroment. Less moving back in forth to different places. That moving alone causes stress which makes things worse.

Cool water.
Nothing frozen.

What antibiotic did your vet give?

I'd remove that bark if I were you too.
Use plain old dirt or peat moss instead.
Or stuff you rake up from your yard.
No treated bark chips for flower beds.

If it is humid along with the heat, misting will only exasperate their discomfort. The short lived coolness will only lead to evaporated moisture that gets heated up and further saturates the air.

If the mulch is or becomes moldy it will cause respiratory issues in your girls. If it gets wet it can also hold in the hot and humid moisture. If it were my flock, I would get rid of it, but that is just my opinion.
Great tip re: misting! Thank you!!

FROZEN is not good.
Offer cool water, not ice cold and never frozen.

I doubt bark is causing the respiratory illness.
More likely a respiratory virus or disease is causing it.
The heat can make these type of illnesses worse...so can stress.

Stable enviroment. Less moving back in forth to different places. That moving alone causes stress which makes things worse.

Cool water.
Nothing frozen.

What antibiotic did your vet give?
Appreciate all your feedback! She prescribed Amoxi-clav 400 mg/5 ml, which we're administering in 1.1 ml doses twice a day.

+ Yes, after today's chaos, I think moving them was more stressful than it helped.

++ Nothing frozen? A lot of folks on here suggested freezing blocks of ice to put in their water + other frozen fruits/treats, so I'm curious!

Back
Top Bottom