1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens really are hearty

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gunnichick, Dec 21, 2012.

1. gunnichick

gunnichick New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Gunnison CO
    I read and read and read all about chickens and winters on BYC before getting chicks this fall. Last night 2 of my Black Australorp roosters spend the night out of the coop (oops- although our run is very predator proof) and it was -15F last night. In the coop were the other 16 RIR, RIW and B.As...and the thermometer read -8F as the low. I do have a 100watt heat lamp in the coop on cold nights and a heated waterer. Now, I know that chickens are hearty. Everyone was alright this morning! Although, I will make sure to get all in the coop on cold nights. Its just good to know they can fare just fine in cold weather.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep!
    It's amazing how hardy Chickens (as well as other birds) are during the winter.
    We're not experiencing temps as cold as yours; however, I've noticed that some of my roosters are preferring to spend the night outside their "sleeping box" (we have temps in the 20's at night).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by