Chickens Refusing to eat what is offered?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks4MyFamily, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    We have four Barred Cochin hens and a roo! These are beautiful, fluffy, healthy birds. We received our first egg from them today - 23 weeks. They are refusing to eat the layer crumble that I am providing and only want to eat scratch. I know that scratch alone doesn't offer the nutrition that they need and I don't know what to do. Should I not offer scratch until they eat their layer crumbles?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Stop feeding the Scratch Feed they'll start eating the regular feed when they get hungry.

Chris

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:x2. I only give scratch as a rare treat - once a week or so when I think of it and even then its only a handful thrown out for them to work on. They have access to free-range and a feeder full of feed 24/7 though and are able to eat as much as they need.

4. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I am one that only gives scratch as a treat once in a while also.. I would also say don't offer it and they will eat there food eventually..

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Stop feeding the Scratch Feed they'll start eating the regular feed when they get hungry.

Chris

X-3..... [​IMG]

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Yup!

Just as I'd prefer to eat chocolate and potato chips all day, chickens prefer snacks over real food. Lay off the scratch for a while, and mail me some potato chips. Salt & vinegar preferred.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My chickens have all day to eat their feed and get scratch everyday around 2 pm. They know when they will get scratch, but have chowed down since early morning on their good feed. I don't think you have to only offer once per week, you just have to offer it after they have eaten the good stuff.

8. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    mix a tiny bit of scratch with alot of layer

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Now this I wouldn't do; they are likely to pick out the scratch and leave the layer.

I don't even buy scratch any more; I don't want 25# or 50# of it and the small bags cost nearly as much as BOSS, so they get a handful or two of BOSS most days, for 13 chickens, at present. I also give them some sort of animal protein at least every few days since the feed around here has none and I don't trust that they get enough from bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by