Chickens roaming too far

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by deanm, Aug 8, 2014.

1. deanm

deanm New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Raleigh
    My girls have started venturing out well beyond my property. I have two acres and everyone around me has about that much land. They typically stay in my yard but now have started venturing too far (crossing the road, two or three neighbors over, etc.) I am worried that they are going to get eaten by neighbors dogs because they are flying over fences now. I don't want to lock them up forever but I can't just let them free range that far. Any suggestions?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. The only other option besides keeping them in an enclosed run is to clip one wing so they can't fly over the fences. What kind of chickens do you have? Even clipping a wing might not work if they are light, flighty breeds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in keeping your chickens on your property.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X2 There really is no way to contain them well enough other than keeping them in a run. I can't free range mine due to all the predators so they are kept in a run. However when I have the time, I will go out and sit with them as they free range. When it is time to go in, I rattle a snack bag or feed can and they all come running.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, you can't really stop them from roaming with out fences of some sort, you might consider something like the movable electric poultry netting.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens can't read road signs, or safely cross streets and flying into someone else's yard is always a danger - could be dogs waiting on the other side. If you are concerned about their safety put up a large, secure covered run for them. Despite your amount of land, they obviously feel the grass is greener somewhere else. Your birds will live a lot longer if you have them corralled.

7. deanm

deanm New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Raleigh
    Thanks to everyone who replied and thanks for the kind welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by