Chickens Roost in Run, in Summer?

cabincrazyone

Songster
9 Years
Dec 26, 2010
NE Minnesota
I've always assumed (and you know what that does) that in the typical small confined flock, that the chickens will always roost inside the coop ... mostly for safety. I'm wondering, if my run is very safe, would the chickens choose to roost outside in the run (if I provided high roosts and wind protection) ... in summer weather.

If a raccoon came along and climbed up the run wire, I suppose the chickens would go inside? or go nuts and make a bunch of noise and wake the neighbors?

If a raccoon came along and climbed up the run wire, I suppose the chickens would go inside? or go nuts and make a bunch of noise and wake the neighbors?

No, more than likely the chickens would just get eaten if they are anywhere a raccoon could reach them thru the wire (and unless it's hardwarecloth, they can and will disassemble live chickens handful by handful).

Most certainly chickens often LIKE to roost outdoors in the summertime. However IMHO it is not generally wise to encourage/allow it if it can at all be avoided... it is just "chumming up the predators". Why give them extra incentive to try to break in? "Out of sight, out of mind".

JMHO,

Pat​

Yeah, unless your run is constructed with well secured hardware cloth all over (including top unless covered with a roof), there's still a high risk from predators. It seems logical that a chicken would wake up and cause a ruckus if a predator came around, but chickens basically shut down in the dark and are very helpless. That's why most people recommend to folks who have wild chickens that they "catch" them at night while roosting, because they are so easy to handle in the dark. A chicken literally becomes a "sitting duck" in darkness.

I'll be building the run in the spring. Half inch hardware cloth everywhere. Squirrels won't get in.

Thanks, you're confirming my initial thoughts that they should be in the coop at night, period.

53005_p1230830.jpeg

53005_p1230833.jpeg

53005_p1230839.jpeg

I'd consider making your run invincible if you plan to allow your girls to have open freedom between roost and coop. I live in Florida and severe cold is not such a big concern (although we do get overnight temps in the teens occasionally). If coons or any other critter for that matter can can enter your flocks sanctuary, they will be killed - unfortunately.

I am in Florida also and mine don't have a coop. I have a solid back wall and a partial wall perpendicular to it and the rest is hardware cloth...even the top. The entire pen is covered. I make sure at night now that it is cold that they are on the roost in front of the solid wall but when it is warm they can be where ever they want.
sharon

Here in the Carolinas we get summer temps near 100, although it cools down to 80 at night. My hens free range during the day, but at dusk they all come back to coop (8x12) and attached run 9x12). The pop door between the coop and run is always open, so they could roost outside at night if they wanted to, but they have always slept in the coop. In the morning, though, they are all waiting in the run to be let outside for the day.

Our run is completely enclosed with hardware cloth, so it's secure - I think they prefer the coop since they were locked in there for the first 2 weeks when the left the brooder.

Quote:
This was my thinking before I started this thread. I believe it's best for them to roost in the coop at night ... adding to safety and all other considerations, the weather in Mn.

Keep in mind predators may also dig under the run frame to get under it and into the chickens. So if you're considering letting the chickens roost outside, I'd be sure to extend the hardware cloth below the ground and bury it. If you can manage to put a roost smack in the center of the coop so nothing could reach in to them, I'd imagine you'd be alright.

Back
Top Bottom