Chickens Roosting outside?

GreeneAcresFarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Our chickens are 19 weeks approx. They've been in the coop since 10 weeks. They spent the first two weeks in the coop and then were allowed to free range. They all did real well and go back in at dark until this week. Each night more of them stay out roosting on top of my duck pen that is 7 feet high. Each night I have to get each one off the pen and put in the coop. Last night it was all 11 of them and two of the Roo's were not happy about that. There is a roost inside but it is only 4' high. Should I make higher ones in the coop?
Their coop is 9' x 10' so it should be large enough and has good air flow? I have some scratch that I used in the early stages but hated to use now since it is so warm out? Any suggestions? Thanks

Chickens like roosting up high, it's instinct, if they are high up predator's can't get them.
I agree with bobbi-j, they will have to get used to it. Sometimes we try our very best, but the chickens will not be satisfied. Just show them who's boss.

Odd that they were happy to roost inside at first, then gradually migrated outside. Have you checked for red mite?

I have not noticed any Red Mites however I am still a newbie to chickens. I will try to get some closer looks asap. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom