Chickens scrunch before I pick them up??

RhodeIslandRed5

Songster
May 28, 2019
East Texas
When I bend down to pick up any of my girls, sometimes they scrunch down like, and kinda hump their wings up(sorry if I'm not describing their position too well) kinda like they're afraid they'll be hit or something! Has anyone else seen their chickens do this right before being picked up? Are they afraid of being picked up? I don't see how because my sweet Baby has done it a few times, and she loves to picked up and carried.

When I bend down to pick up any of my girls, sometimes they scrunch down like, and kinda hump their wings up(sorry if I'm not describing their position too well) kinda like they're afraid they'll be hit or something! Has anyone else seen their chickens do this right before being picked up? Are they afraid of being picked up? I don't see how because my sweet Baby has done it a few times, and she loves to picked up and carried.
I’ve heard that’s instinctive “presenting” as the hen assumes a position of readiness for a rooster. I don’t know the technical term. Many of the hens I have encountered do the same.

They are squatting. Its a sign of submissiveness. It makes it easy to pick them up if you need too but be careful they don't do it in front of you if your carrying something and not expecting it, I've dropped many things to avoid tripping over them!
My darlings usually do only when I bend down to pick them up. I do try to be careful where I walk, my sweet Baby can get underfoot sometimes when she follows me or hides behind me from the bullies.

Mine stopped when they went into molt. Now, they won't let me pick them up at all.
Try not to pick them up when they're molting unless absolutely necessary. With all the new blood feathers coming through you could rupture one and they bleed alot. It's also really uncomfortable for them and takes alot out of them. That's why they get stand offish and look a little drained. When they have got their new feathers they will return to there loving ways!

Back
Top Bottom