chickens seem annoyed/Overly vocal advice please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ema, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    So for the last week my chickens seem to be super annoyed/grumpy with something or other. They are real loud and its not like regular pok pok talk its more like loud long gawking. I have monitored the coop (which is inside the barn) and run to see if there are any intruders and nothing. I have inspected the inside of the coop and its all fine. clean, fresh, plenty of food and water, they go outside everyday at 7 am and back inside at 7pm. they have a heat lamp for the night cause its getting quite chilly out this way (calling for snow over night/tomorrow morning and freezing rain). Now except for maybe 4 or 5 the rest are doing this. the only thing different in the coop is that they started laying last week on the 23rd. this morning I got 5 eggs, so I will presume 5 are laying which is oddly the same amount of chickens who are acting just fine. Could they be grumpy because they are coming into the process of laying? I am kinda worried, and I will say this I have inspected the chickens, no bugs of any sort, no ill effects, crops /eyes/vents, beaks look excellent, they are big birds and the feathers all look great. I have 21 red stars if you are wondering, and for 21 chickens I have 11 nesting boxes.

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi Ema, it sure is cold there. Are they molting?

3. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    it not bad after 10 or 11 in the morning but at night its been going down to 0 C. tonight it will be -2C. and no they are not molting. but I can imagine sooner or later that is going to happen.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  4. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I should mention they are 17 week old too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by