Chickens sleeping in boxes at night D:

AussieHens96

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
In their roosting area their boxes are attached and each night they go into them and sleep (and leave poo in it) and while I clean it out often, I wonder will they grow out of it? Currently the oldest is 17 weeks (a silky) and there is a younger SLW and two 10 week old isa browns - will they grow out of it or should I find a way to block up the boxes to make them sleep in the actual roosting part, not the boxes?

I would block the boxes so they know they aren't for sleeping then open them back up before they start laying. They'll learn.

Hello,

Chickens have terrible night vision so they naturally want to roost as high as they can get. It makes them feel safe. My suggestion would be to put some roosts up that are higher than the nest boxes. After a night or two you shouldn't have any problems with them roosting in the nests.

Hello,

Chickens have terrible night vision so they naturally want to roost as high as they can get. It makes them feel safe. My suggestion would be to put some roosts up that are higher than the nest boxes. After a night or two you shouldn't have any problems with them roosting in the nests.
Unfortunately, due to their roosting area, it's REALLY hard to block it :/ Will they just grow out of it?

My guess is that your nests are the highest point in your coop.. If this is the case your chickens will always want to roost in them.. They won't grow out of it, and blocking it will not help long term. Chickens will almost always roost in the highest spot available. Don't let that be your nests.

If my guess is correct then you need to either lower your nests so that the roosts are higher than your nests or install a new roosting bar that is higher than your nests. Hope this helps.. Good luck!!!

Okay 1) The roosts and the boxes are the same height, neither is higher. They're literally on the same level! 2)Has anyone had a similiar problem and they're chickens have just outgrown it? 3) The roosting/nesting area is REALLY HARD to attach extra bars :/

I have roosting bars higher than my nest boxes. I have one hen and the rooster who sleep in one of the nest boxes and one hen who sleeps under that same nest box. I got all three of these birds as adults and I'm not sure what conditions were exactly where they were other than the hens were in horrible shape when I got them. These same birds lay their eggs under the ramp that goes up to another nest box. So, I am absolutely no help in the solutions area. yet... As I try new things I will let you know if I find something that works. :/ sorry

In cases like this you gotta try to think like a chicken.. lol
duc.gif
My guess is that because they are the same height the nest is potentially more comfortable and offers an even more secure feeling for the chickens at night, so I doubt you will see a change in behavior. Is there any way you can lower your nests down a couple feet below your roosts?

I know that probably sounds like a lot of work ,but your chickens don't understand that one place is for sleeping and the other is for eggs and have no clue that pooping in the nests is inappropriate and unacceptable behavior.
barnie.gif
So if you really want a change in behavior you need to provide a roost that is instinctual for them to go to. Right now your nests provide height and security at night, which is what instinct demands, so that's where they go.

Also, one other thing. Chickens actually have a favorite spot on the roosts. Mine actually peck and fight over their favorite spots. I'm wondering if you have plenty of extra room on the roosts. If you have 1 chicken that pecks a lot it may be forcing the other chickens to roost elsewhere. Providing more roosting space may help solve this particular issue, if such is the case. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have roosting bars higher than my nest boxes. I have one hen and the rooster who sleep in one of the nest boxes and one hen who sleeps under that same nest box. I got all three of these birds as adults and I'm not sure what conditions were exactly where they were other than the hens were in horrible shape when I got them. These same birds lay their eggs under the ramp that goes up to another nest box. So, I am absolutely no help in the solutions area. yet... As I try new things I will let you know if I find something that works.
hmm.png
sorry

I'm wondering if your birds have a physical condition that makes it hard for them to get up on the roosts. I had a chicken get badly injured in a dog attack and couldn't get up on the roost, so I made a tiered kind of roost system that allowed her to make several smaller jumps so she could get up with the other chickens at night.

I've also had Cornish Rocks that are simply just too fat to roost so they never even tried. Any idea what breed your chickens are that won't roost?

I'm wondering if your birds have a physical condition that makes it hard for them to get up on the roosts.  I had a chicken get badly injured in a dog attack and couldn't get up on the roost, so I made a tiered kind of roost system that allowed her to make several smaller jumps so she could get up with the other chickens at night.

I've also had Cornish Rocks that are simply just too fat to roost so they never even tried.  Any idea what breed your chickens are that won't roost?

porcelain d'uccle hens. Again, they were in awful shape when I got them. It has only been.the past two weeks that I get one or two eggs out of the three every day. I feel like I'm hijacking this thread and am of no help to the original poster so please pm me any advice. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom