Chickens sleeping on coop floor

Katieh227

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
Hi. I have six hens of mixed breeds. They have been sleeping on a roost set up like a ladder for the last 18 months. But they didn’t all fit so I wanted to make a change.

My son put one roosting bar across the coop so they’d all fit. This was about ten days ago. The first five days I went out and put them on the bar. After that I left them on their own. I’ve seen two jump up- coop camera. However now they are sleeping on the floor 🤷🏻‍♀️. Any ideas why they won’t go up?

Attachments

• 33CC2969-0BF3-422C-B555-440C21702B5F.png
    33CC2969-0BF3-422C-B555-440C21702B5F.png
    716.8 KB · Views: 36
Hi. I have six hens of mixed breeds. They have been sleeping on a roost set up like a ladder for the last 18 months. But they didn’t all fit so I wanted to make a change.

My son put one roosting bar across the coop so they’d all fit. This was about ten days ago. The first five days I went out and put them on the bar. After that I left them on their own. I’ve seen two jump up- coop camera. However now they are sleeping on the floor 🤷🏻‍♀️. Any ideas why they won’t go up?
How are the roosts secured?
How far from the walls are they? They look close in the image.

How are the roosts secured?
How far from the walls are they? They look close in the image.
They are not as close as they look. It’s about 10 inches from the wall on one side and 35 inches on the other side. They are fairly secure notched into the coop beams. They don’t spin at all.

Chickens hate change. You may need to put them on the new roost until they start doing it on their own. I have some birds who still refuse to roost as adult birds, but since yours were previously roosting I would assume a ladder provided a pecking order style situation. Were the birds in the top of the pecking order on the higher roosts previously?

Chickens hate change. You may need to put them on the new roost until they start doing it on their own. I have some birds who still refuse to roost as adult birds, but since yours were previously roosting I would assume a ladder provided a pecking order style situation. Were the birds in the top of the pecking order on the higher roosts previously?
Yes, all the ones that were on the roost went on the top level. I did notice one of them being left out which is one of the reasons I tried to make the change - so they would all fit.

Back
Top Bottom