Chickens Sleeping Outside at Night

I'm a new chicken mom. My chickens sleep outside of their coop, in the secure run, on a roost. They've never shown any interest in going inside at night...?

Welcome to BYC.

If your run is designed to be predator-proof and the roost is adequately sheltered it's not a problem -- except that it may point to other possible issues in the coop. :)

Thank you! I've never trained them to go in their coop at night, I've just always let them sleep outside on the roost. Do I need to train them?

Not if you're satisfied with them being in the run in all the weather and seasons you experience. (Putting your location in your profile is helpful because climate matters).

My new Open Air coop build is essentially a roofed run with a windbreak at one end because I live in a hot climate.

It would depend a bit on the window location relative to the usual wind direction. For instance in my back yard the wind tends to blow in from the north so I have my coop turned so the air currents are maximized. Is the window opposing the coop door? If not there may not be an adequate amount of air circulation. There's some really good articles in the learning center here on BYC with great photos. I know it can be difficult to imagine the logistics from text.
I wouldn't rule out other things as well, have you been using the same bedding on the coop, did you use a cleaner with a scent recently? Chickens don't like change lol!
I've been using pine shavings for the past 2 years. The cleaner I use has no scent.

Last edited:
Photos of your set up would help with assessing.

As a general rule you want 1 sq ft of ventilation per standard hen. In a hot climate such as yours, adding even more would be ideal.
Here's the entrance of the coop....The door stays open:

Attachments

• DSCN9296.JPG
    DSCN9296.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom