1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens smarter than me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rosalind, May 16, 2007.

1. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    At least I know they have team spirit.

I keep my chickens in part of a barn. The barn is really old, some of the latches on the doors are hand-made wrought iron, and you can't completely close the chicken door from the inside--only from the outside. If you try to close it from the inside, it will only go to about 3 inches from closed, then jam. You can see where this is going already, right?

Today, I went out for their usual morning feeder check/head count, and saw one little chicken in the far corner of the room, meeping as if something was wrong. I walked over to her, crouched down, and about seven other chickens made a run for the door. Crying little chicken abruptly stops crying and runs around in circles, seemingly laughing at me. I was faster than all but one roo, who led me a merry chase around the stalls before deciding to cower under a bicycle and getting stuck.

I really need to clean out that barn. You don't even want to know what I tripped over, or what I landed in face-first...I'm just saying, I needed a bath...[​IMG]

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    [​IMG]

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    [​IMG]

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I tell you, I love reading these stories! I come home and tell my hubby what I read recently from some of you guys, and we have a good laugh.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Oh, what a riot!! Too funny, it reminds me of the plotting chickens in "Chicken Run".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by