Chickens Soaked from the Rain

Ash-Honeydew-and-Pepper

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2020
Just a little side note Its been raining for a few days, pouring most of the day and is meant to rain again tomorrow. Two of our chickens seem to think they are ducks and have been staying out in the rain with them, they have a chicken coop that they can easily go into. The ground of the run is quite muddy so their feet have also gotten muddy including the feathers on the maran's feet. I'm getting worried as their feathers are soaked and its not the warmest weather outside. I have only seen one come inside to check if we had treats (Maybe the ramp is too slippery for the other one?). They are a Swedish flower hen and a blue splash maran both a little under a year old. The other chickens have been going outside but not to the point where their feathers are soaked like these two. Any help would be welcomed, thanks!

Also I hope this is the right place to post this, Sorry if its not.

Yep, you're in the right forum!
My first thought about 'soaked' chickens is to stick you hand under the feathers at roost time, they are most likely warm and dry next to the skin.

The ground of the run is quite muddy so their feet have also gotten muddy including the feathers on the maran's feet. I'm getting worried as their feathers are soaked and its not the warmest weather outside.
Why I don't have feather footed birds anymore...well, due to snow, mud is managed by good run bedding.

What does your coop and run look like?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Ash-Honeydew-and-Pepper
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1588253521452.png

Oh my, I'm Sorry responding just slipped to the back of my mind for a little while But I thought I might as well respond even if It is late.
The morning after the two days of rain it only rained for the morning and was sunny all day, so both of the hens dried off in the sun and they are doing well. Guess I was worried for mostly nothing!

Why I don't have feather footed birds anymore...well, due to snow, mud is managed by good run bedding.

We recently built a new, bigger run for our chickens and ducks, what would you recommend for run bedding? I would be worried a duck would try to eat a wood chip or something!
We also haven't had a problem with feather footed birds, most of our chickens refuse to go into the snow either way, but its a different story for the ducks... lol
And just a side note, thanks for telling me how to add my geographical location still getting used to using all the different settings.

Yep, you're in the right forum!
My first thought about 'soaked' chickens is to stick you hand under the feathers at roost time, they are most likely warm and dry next to the skin.

What does your coop and run look like?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Ash-Honeydew-and-Pepper
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2115346
What good run bedding do you use? I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what'll be best. It's total dirt now and hurricane season is supposed to be bad this year which means mud, mud, mud. Straw is super expensive here not sure why. Suggestions?

I read an article on the happy chicken coop,
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/using-sand-in-chicken-coop/. It goes into great detail about construction sand as run bedding. I live in Fl with lots of storms during the summer. I really like this idea and think I’m going to try it.
I read that too. Something about local river sand. I'll have to check with landscape suppliers around here to see if anybody has it. I'm in Florida too. We're in for it this year.

Back
Top Bottom