1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens standing still

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Y N dottes, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Once when I went out to see the girls, they at first acted like they always do(crowding around me looking for treats). I was out there for a little while taking care of some stuff when i noticed all my chickens standing as still as statues. I've never seen this before and even when i went over to them they still didnt move, and stayed like that untill i reached down to pick one of them up. They acted normal again but they would occasionally stop and stand still for a minute the rest of the evening. Has anyone ever seen their chickens do that? Is it totaly natural? I thought maybe they saw or heared something....maybe a cat, etc. Im not really worried but i am curious.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    sounds like something scared them !

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I thought that i might be that...i looked around and i didnt see anything, but they probably have a sharper sense of hearing and sight

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    Sometimes mine do that if a buzzard or crow flies a little too close, or they will run into the woods or barn, whatever is closer. My son would just crack up at them for doing that!;)

5. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    mine will freeze,and sure enough there is something they are afraid of.back in the summer i had them out free ranging.they were under the grape vines i could see them ,as you said they looked like status.i called them several times and they would not come.my dh walked under a tree and a hawk flew with in a couple of feet where the hens were.they seen that hawk.that was a close call.i have notice they will shout a warning call whenever they feel threaten.

6. Helga1992

Helga1992 New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    Australia
    This just happened to my chickens but only 2 out of the 3 stood still I went to pick one up and they didn't even move!!! So weird I had to record it !! I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

7. jcintennessee

jcintennessee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2015
    I see that these are old threads I'm glad you still have then. My chickens looked like statues last night, even when my husband went out they did not want to move. A threat seemed reasonable but we didn't want to assume. Appreciate the information being available on the site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by