1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens stopped eating

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pixie74943, Nov 29, 2010.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Hi, I need some help

My chickens are fed a mix of grains, and when I started them on it, they were very healthy for a couple of months, now they have stopped eating certain grains.

The mix is 60% wheat, and an equal mix of peas, corn, lupins, and sunflower seeds. The chickens have stopped eating the peas and lupins (they used to fight over peas) and they contain the majority of the protein in their diet

Any ideas why they would lose interest in some of their food? but still interested in the other seeds

2. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    (double post srry)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    feed the birds the peas and lupines fin the morning and wait for them to Finnish all of those before you give them anything else also if your worried about protean they love any type of meat and if you don't want to give them meat cultivating worms ,crickets ,grasshoppers ,or any kind of insect wouldn't be hard.

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I reckon they just got bored [​IMG] My chickens used to do that, too, except now they're on a pellet diet and only get seeds as treats [​IMG]

5. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    @dan_grow: I'm looking at starting mealworms soon, hopefully my parents dont cry too much about them :p

@magicpigeon: evil little creatures!! They ate their peas yesterday, because I was at work and wasnt able to top up their food till later, hehe, so the way to get them to eat is to starve them... (sarcasm)

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Try to get them on a layer crumbles or pellets. I agree to use scratch or grains as treats!

7. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    well good luck with the meal worms and don't worry about what your parents have to say ( trust me on this they'll complain and whine but adventively they'll relent)

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by