Chickens stopped laying hay/straw suspect?

Is the run covered or uncovered? If uncovered, I have read something about mould spores being bad for chickens - the straw could be getting mouldy from rain/ mist/ precipitation. Although, this is unlikely so don't suddenly stress out because I am a bit of a negative thinker sometimes!🤣

Hi there hun,
I used to use straw and my hens got lice (the warmth of the straw encourages mice and lice - that’s my opinion only of course, I know many use straw with no problems) Anyway I digress … The lice look like white cotton buds at their vent. Easy to see they are literally white fluffy looking balls at the end of their vent feathers.
Pretty icky actually 😳
They drink the blood inside the quills of the feathers and eventually cause a type of anaemia which, in turn if not caught early, can cause a hen to stop laying.
It’s more likely they are laying elsewhere but it’s worth a quick check.
Hugz

No new changes other then the addition of straw. I got 6, and all 6 are not laying. I don't know what breed they are. 3 are all black and the other3 are half black and white. Water is straight tap water in one of these water dish. It does get poop in there and we try to clean it out bi-weekly. I'm sure not enough. I'm going to be looking at better water ideas. No eggs fragments or signs of animals getting at the eggs. We did put 2 fake eggs, they look real. Fooled me when first introduced. I would think if my neighbors are taking eggs they would not take all of them every day. We offer no treats for our chickens:( . It just seems odd that all 6 would stop laying and for such a long time. I wanted to make sure it wasn't something with the hay/straw but it doesn't seem to be the reason. They have lost no feathers, and all seem pretty healthy. I'll stop as TSC and get them some treats. maybe they are just unhappy. Thank you all for such good comments and help.

Back
Top Bottom