Chickens stopped laying possibly Feed associated?

Although we allow healthy and respectful debates on BYC we do not allow political opinions, or unfounded conspiracy theories because of the nature of these types of posts. You are free to discuss how your poultry does on certain brands of feed, but any posts that reference other sites, and certain ideas will be removed at the discretion of the moderator team. You are still free to discuss these things in pm's if you wish.

Thank you for your understanding.

BYC staff

Although we allow healthy and respectful debates on BYC we do not allow political opinions, or unfounded conspiracy theories because of the nature of these types of posts. You are free to discuss how your poultry does on certain brands of feed, but any posts that reference other sites, and certain ideas will be removed at the discretion of the moderator team. You are still free to discuss these things in pm's if you wish.

Thank you for your understanding.

BYC staff
Sorry 😞 i didn't intend to break rules referencing other sites, was trying to bring context to the conversation. This is not political. However every thing is an "unfounded" theory until it's proven true. A considerable amount of very important and even life-saving information was labeled "conspiracy theories' and censored when in reality it was inconvenient truths that went against a carefully crafted & controlled narrative, and ultimately violated people's right to make well informed, fact based decisions
It's sad to see that also happen here, even if it's just about chickens and feed

I use a variety of feeds but have been using a lot more of producers pride due to cost. I keep track daily of eggs with an app on my phone. What is readily apparent to me, is that daylight and weather have a huge impact on egg laying. Mine were laying fairly steadily into December and then we had that big FRIGID storm with temps well into negatives and horrible windchills into -40's. Due to the temps, I had to keep mine in the coop with tarps providing extra protection from the wind. They basically had no daylight for 4-6 days except if they stuck their head out and quickly came back inside. Ironically, within 24-36 hours of tarp city and no daylight, egg production plummeted. It stayed low for the remainder of December and most of January. Just this week it's started to slowly pick back up as we've seen more daylight. It was that huge drop in eggs about 24-36 hours of being locked inside a dark coop due to the horrible temps that really made it apparent how much daylight has an impact on egg laying, for me anyway.

I don't see a link in the first post but I saw the Twitter video in your 2nd post. I'm very curious to see the list of feed that is causing this issue and that video was the reason I came on here tonight. Please send me the link to a list of the commercial food, so I can make sure we avoid buying it.
I will send you a PM its not a "list" . They had named 1 brand specifically, 2 bags from that brand happened to be outsourced to a different processor than normal. I don't have any "inside info" and only what I've been able to gather from multiple sites. However for xmas my father-in-law gifted us 3 40lb bags of different feed for the hens, one of those bag is the exact one pictured in the post... so I wanted to check with our much experienced chicken friends here for input, but an returning the bag either way as its pellets & not crumbles

I use a variety of feeds but have been using a lot more of producers pride due to cost. I keep track daily of eggs with an app on my phone. What is readily apparent to me, is that daylight and weather have a huge impact on egg laying. Mine were laying fairly steadily into December and then we had that big FRIGID storm with temps well into negatives and horrible windchills into -40's. Due to the temps, I had to keep mine in the coop with tarps providing extra protection from the wind. They basically had no daylight for 4-6 days except if they stuck their head out and quickly came back inside. Ironically, within 24-36 hours of tarp city and no daylight, egg production plummeted. It stayed low for the remainder of December and most of January. Just this week it's started to slowly pick back up as we've seen more daylight. It was that huge drop in eggs about 24-36 hours of being locked inside a dark coop due to the horrible temps that really made it apparent how much daylight has an impact on egg laying, for me
Im so glad your girls are getting back to normal. My dominique i think is just starting molting, Im seeing many black & white feathers in the coop & not attached to her fluffy butt so Im assuming thats her issue. Im very new to having chickens, just got my 3 lovely ladies in May, so theyre young and not quite following a hen laying norms yet.
i cant share the link to show video, conversation and photos of the specific bag/brand they named as BYC mods already deleted it and classified this discussion as political or conspiracy theory. However I can PM it, so if you are still interested message me and I will send it

Last edited:
Im so glad your girls are getting back to normal. My dominique i think is just starting molting, Im seeing many black & white feathers in the coop & not attached to her fluffy butt so Im assuming thats her issue. Im very new to having chickens, just got my 3 lovely ladies in May, so theyre young and not quite following a hen laying norms yet.
i cant share the link to show video, conversation and photos of the specific bag/brand they named as BYC mods already deleted it and classified this discussion as political or conspiracy theory. However I can PM it, so if you are still interested message me and I will send it
I've had molting birds too. And I've heard all about the video etc, so I don't need it. I was just sharing my experience. Was crazy to see the drastic decrease in eggs once they lost daylight.

There is already a long thread (that has been locked for no replies) that seems similar to this original question.
Thanks for that. I did an advanced search for this topic & didnt pull that thread. I wonder if it being locked pulls it from search results? Well thank you again for the link, I am checking it out

I am in north Alabama, and use an open-air coop/run combo. It's a greenhouse frame covered all over with 1/2" hardware cloth and a clear plastic tarp. They get every scrap of sunlight that's in the sky. When we get a few gray heavy overcast days in a row, egg production drops by a couple eggs a day. When we had the unseasonable cold spell, I also saw a slight decrease in production. But I've actually gotten an increasing amount of eggs over the last few months as my last few 8-9 month old pullets have come into lay. I'm getting anywhere from 12-14 eggs a day from 15 hens. I feed Purina Flockraiser exclusively, with maybe 10% treats (people food that's okay for chickens and scratch).

I've had molting birds too. And I've heard all about the video etc, so I don't need it. I was just sharing my experience. Was crazy to see the drastic decrease in eggs once they lost daylight.
I only have 3 chickens ao any decrease in eggs is extremely noticable here lol. But them being crossbreeds, in their 1st year plus they have a small light in their coop that stays on until 730pm, all of which may have helped them to lay consistently. I dont know, as Ive not much personal experience and only know what im learning here.... and am so grateful someone thought to create this site, as it is truly an invaluable resource for all things feathered.

Have a wonderful evening

Back
Top Bottom