Chickens stopped laying

kris reutzel

Hatching
May 18, 2017
We have 12 hens of mixed breeds and all were laying regularly....about three weeks ago we went from getting 8 or 10 eggs a day to 1-3! it has stayed consistent. everyone seems healthy, they free range for food, nothing traumatic has happened, and we have not seen evidence of egg eating. We have also looked EVERYWHERE to see if they are laying elsewhere and can't find anything. Any thoughts?! Even though it is spring and light is longer now, we turned the light back on in their coop to see if that helped but did not seem to change anything.

HELP!

Welcome to BYC...

How old are they?
Anything "crazy" happen recently?
Do they never receive store bought feed.....only free range?

Welcome to BYC...

How old are they?

Welcome to BYC...

How old are they?

Welcome to BYC...

How old are they?

Welcome to BYC...

How old are they?

we have had a couple of hot days, but also had some really cold days mixed in. it's been strange weather. we give them feed through the winter but as soon as spring has really set in we stop. we started feeding them again 2 days ago just in case that was the issue. they have tons of acres to forage and i also give them bread/fruit/veggie scraps
They are mixed ages....oldest are 4 years, youngest are about 1

we give them feed through the winter but as soon as spring has really set in we stop. we started feeding them again 2 days ago
The feed may be the issue, they do need proper nutrition to lay....(and bread isn't going to provide it.)
But another issue with free rangers is that sometimes they have hidden nest(s).

I have a friend who relies only on free ranging for food...he always goes through these "spells" and wonders why..
All free range food is not always available.
I'd suggest offering feed year round to avoid these type "spell" if not possible, then accept these type "spells" to happen often and consider them normal.

Back
Top Bottom