Chickens Stopped Laying

CIuck

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Conneticut
I have two chicken that suddenly both stopped laying. Im thinking it might be time of year but they are not ready to molt yet. My other two are laying just fine. This has been going on awhile now and I was wondering whats going on. Should I be worried or is this normal. I dont know if this has anything to do with this but their breeds are Plymouth Rock and Dark Brahma

It’s normal for egg production to slow down and sometimes stop completely when the daylight hours are shortened and it gets colder. If they are acting normal and don’t seem sick to you, I wouldn’t worry. It’s good for their bodies to take a break, since egg laying takes a huge toll on their bodies. I never supplement with artificial light bc it’s my personal opinion that the break is good for them. The only breeds that really lay constantly and don’t take many breaks are sex linked production chickens - but as a trade off they don’t live as long since their bodies are basically egg producing machines and wear out faster than “regular” non hybrid breeds.

I haven't gotten an egg from my 3 Barred Rocks since December 1st.
One is finishing a molt
20201212_092938_resized.jpg

Another is just starting to molt and the other hasn't laid since June after a Bobcat or Fox attack took a flockmate while free ranging. They will be 28 months old Tuesday.
20201122_140827_resized.jpg

My Red sex-links are laying daily. They are 7 months old.
20201210_051349_resized.jpg

I add lights at 5 am daily, year round. GC

Back
Top Bottom