Chickens stopped laying

Derekwit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 21, 2012
I have about 55 birds (Barrocks, RR, Buff, Whiteleg horns) they are about 8 months. We are usually collecting around 30-32 eggs a day. We went out of town this past weekend and the person who was watching the brids called us and said that a Buff had died. No marks, no blood just died. The thing that shocked me was he said he only found about 4 eggs. Any suggestions or things I should look for?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Could the heat be getting to them? Did they have plenty of water?

Gosh there could be several reasons, but along with the heat....mites are another reason birds stop laying....

We keep a 55 gallon waterer filled so I think they stay hydrated. I will put some DE out this afternoon for the mites. It has actually cooled off a little bit here in Georgia still humid.

What do you recommend for mites?
Im sure you will get lots of different threads on what to use for mites.....I have tried a LOT of the organic stuff when we had a really bad infestation, nothing got rid of them completely, and the only thing that worked for us (this was recommended by my breeder) was 'Frontline' drops a couple of drops on the back of their neck, this got rid of our infestation on the birds, we had to strip the coop/ nest out and spray with Ardap spray. this worked for us....We also changed our wooden coop to a plastic one, never had a problem since....we have been mite free for about 5 months now.

Don't laugh... Should I be able to see the mites on my birds? If not how can I determine if they have mites?

Back
Top Bottom