Chickens supposedly eats 150g.... T or F?

eeiko321

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
hi guys
in every single book ive read... it states that chickens will eat up to 150g a day. and will "NOT ever eat"
im sure everyone here has heard that quote countless times?

i think this is untrue....
ive only got 2 hens....and they can eat all day...obviously a mixture of things.
But it seems like..even though they will eat 150g on their daily feed...they will take watever else offered to them if it wasnt
on the menu of what they've eaten today.

for e.g obviously they eat their chicken feed all day in the coop/run. then i feed them chopped up vegtables like Tomatoes and cucumber. this will exceed thier 150g already.
but then ill offer them some lettuce in the afternoon, they will eat it anyway..since it wasnt on their morning menu.

then before bed time, i can feel their stomachs very full and bursting...
if i offer them some live food like Crickets or worms...... they still lunge at it as if they havent eaten the whole day.
must be because they want some live food for their daily intake.

so when books state that Chickens will not over eat.... i think thats inaccurate.....
well for my chickens anyway

what are your thoughts on this?
thanks

The rule of thumb is 1/4 lb a day for lightweight breeds. Heavy breeds, which is what most people have, eat 1/3 more or 1/3 lb a day, depending on who you ask. That's how much commercial feed they eat. 150g is much less than that and all of my books use the same information I posted above. A pound = 2.2 kg

Commercial feed is dry and very high calorie. Things like lettuce, greens and many vegetables are mostly water and very low calorie. They're very good for the chickens because of the nutrients in them, but they don't get many calories or the protein they need.

You're all right. For some reason I had that backwards yesterday. It's 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds. No wonder nothing was making sense to me when I was trying to figure that out!

Back
Top Bottom