Chickens terrified of mower

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
Kind of a silly question, but how can I help calm my chickens (pullets) when it's time to weed whack and mow our yard?

They free range, but I put them in their coop and run when we mow and they run in there and paint and look so stressed I just hate it for them.

Thank you!

Mine used to be like that until they realized that the mower gives treats (fresh grass clippings) now they stand at the fence like begging dogs, lol. I don't know what you have in their run or what your management practices are, but after we mow I rake up all the clippings and throw them in the run with some wood chips. I agree with @NatJ keep doing what your doing and they'll adjust in due time

Definitely try to not hit them with the discharge. But mine have also gotten very used to the mower. They will follow it around when I’m cutting the part of the yard around their coop. It’s just a matter of them realizing there’s lots to eat when your done and they will get used to it.

I have a lot of kudzu in my yard, so when I cut patches of it, there’s usualy exposed dirt and they flock to it.

Can can also try and leave it idling near their run, open the gate and offer treats. And while they’re eating slowly drive off without cutting. Show them it’s nothing to be afraid of. Maybe even thrown them treats from the mower.

Mine used to be like that until they realized that the mower gives treats (fresh grass clippings) now they stand at the fence like begging dogs, lol.

They'll get used to it.

Mine do the same "run to the fence" thing as they anticipate the bugs I stir up flying into the pen.
Same, a few of mine walk in laps following the movement of the mower, anticipating the mower spitting a bit of grass or bugs in their direction.

Back
Top Bottom