Chickens that rarely lay?

Serenity06

Songster
8 Years
Aug 20, 2015
southern Alabama
I was thinking of adding some white chickens to my flock (as I already have black and lots of dark colors) the next time I decide I need more which probably won't be until next year at the soonest but most likely the year after. But I already have way more eggs than I can use and 6 more pullets that will be laying by next year. So I was hoping I could find a breed that would suit what I'm looking for :) I really love my wyandottes so I was considering Columbian wyandottes but mine lay pretty regularly. The winters here aren't very harsh but the summers can be quite humid but they do have plenty of shade and ventilation and I provide multiple waterers. I prefer calmer breeds but that's not too important as I already have some that are quite tame. They have ample space to free range so no worries there. Does anyone have any suggestions for what might best fit what I'm looking for? Thank you in advance if you do!

Free eggs also keep the neighbors happy! 😊
That's true 😂 but I live in a very rural area where the only "neighbors" are family and half of them have their own chickens! I do give them away sometimes to those that don't have chickens but it's not enough to keep up with it. I currently have 8 dozen eggs in the fridge and only 7 actively laying hens 🙈

I do sometimes but I really don't know enough people to give eggs to or what to put them in to give them away. Egg cartons cost money although not much. Would you use cartons or something else?

Once people in the neighborhood, at your workplace, at church, etc. know that you have eggs they will flood you with egg cartons.

If you have a dog(s), they will help solve your over abundance... also if there are any animal rehabbers they will (at least where I live) will gladly take your extra eggs for meals as they provide a ton of protein. Worse comes to worse chickens love eggs but, crack them and mutilate the shell so they do not begin associating their own eggs as food.

Back
Top Bottom