Chickens thin in keel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CatMcNamee, Oct 26, 2015.

1. CatMcNamee

CatMcNamee Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2013
    Hi all. I have had my 3 backyard hens for 3 years now, and they are nearly done their molt. They haven't laid in 2 months, which I attributed to the molt. However, when cleaning the coop and run on the weekend, I palpated their breast tissue, and could feel the keel bone, and the breast is thinner than I would like. I feed Dumor laying feed (free feeding in a step on door feeder), fresh greens, veggie peelings, ground egg shells and I have upped their scratch to a big scoop of about 4c daily. Today I added rolled oats. What am I missing?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you monitored for worms or wormed them?

3. CatMcNamee

CatMcNamee Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2013
    No, I haven't. I don't know anything about worming, what products or dosage.

4. RMK04

RMK04 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2015
    X2

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I always advise folks who think their birds are too thin to actually weigh them and see where they are. Laying hens don't have plump breasts, and from what I recall when butchering older layers their body tissue re-distributes some as they age. They gain more fat in the abdomen and above the tail and have less muscle mass compared to a rooster. Just like humans *sigh*.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by