1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens to AVOID?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LeafLover, Jun 17, 2011.

1. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Not sure if this is in the right thread...but are there any certain chickens that are downright mean? Any I should avoid getting because of their attitude?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    not because of meanness (alot of that is individuial temperment as well as socialization), but crested birds, like polish can be jumpy, the foofy feathers can block vision.

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:x2 Individual birds within each breed can differ, but most can be socialized. You will find that your Mediterranean breeds are flightier, so if you don't want that personality trait, go for a breed that is calmer. [​IMG] Here is a link to Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart that compares the breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
    Oh, and [​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    our polish are just fine if you talk to them before you pick them up.

breeds like shamo, maylay can be tough on ech other you have to keep the roos pened separately. they are not supposed to be mean to people but I saw a maylay take a chunk out of his owner at a show. he said the birds daddy was as sweet as could be but this one was going to be culled for temperament issues.

I got beat up by a serama this week
    [​IMG]
    I tried to pick up the chick [​IMG]

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Crested birds are not to be avoided, just warned about. [​IMG] They're an acquired taste. If hand-reared, they are friendly, for the most part. They do require a bit more in the realm of care though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by